Adobe is expanding the tools in the PhoneGap line to now include PhoneGap Developer App. The Developer App essentially allows you to run PhoneGap projects you are developing on your computer easily an Android and iOS devices.
The following video steps you through what you need to know to get started with PhoneGap Developer App for Android and iOS:
Here are the steps:
- Install PhoneGap Developer App on Android or iOS device
- Open Terminal/Command window and install the latest version of PhoneGap: $ sudo npm install -g phonegap
- Create a new PhoneGap App or Open an existing app: $ phonegap create myDev
- Step into the app: $ cd myDev/
- Launch the Developer service: $ phonegap serve
What is now happening is that a Web service is running on your WiFi network. You can connect the PhoneGap Developer App on your device to the IP address that is being broadcast in three steps:
- Open the PhoneGap Developer app on your device
- Enter your IP address
- Select Connect
You can now view your app on your device. The following screen shot shows the app running on a Nexus 7:
This is the first release of the PhoneGap Developer App and future releases will include support for Windows and Plugins. Not a bad start.